[TenTec] Orion II is good news

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II is good news
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:56:48 -0700
First of all I don't have an Orion as yet. Put off getting one as I
continue to have a great time with my current Ten-Tec transceivers:
Omni-VI+, Paragon, Corsair II, Scouts (2), and a Century 21.

I already had two Ten-Tec's that had the firmware promise of never being
obsolete.. I bought a new RX-350 over two years ago and it had small
problems that never got fixed as Ten-Tec's resources were on the Orion
project. I guess I never got over that totally andI finally sold my
RX-350 last month.. Last year I bought a new Jupiter (with auto-tuner)
and experienced again the wait for firmware upgrades that never happened
as the Orion project was still number one. I was about to buy a Pegasus
and then it was discontinued and by then I understood they myth of
advertising. I traded my Jupiter for my Omni-VI+ (great decision!)

Actually the underlying reason I got rid of my RX-350 and Jupiter was
that I wasn't happy with the technical performance but as a very
experienced RF and digital engineer I new it was only a matter of time
and evolving technology till software assisted transceiver designs
truely deliver. The Orion was and is very tempting but overall I can't
prove to myself that it would do that much more than my Omni-VI+ and I
am a very cautious spender.

Now to me Ten-Tec's move to the Orion II platform is a very healthy move
forward and a good indicator of the health of Ten-Tec as a business.
Could you imagine how long Ten-Tec would have survived had they not
evolved their offerings every few years? But again.... at this moment I
am using my Corsair II which I think is still a very fine transceiver
and they haven't built one of these in many years.

The way I see it if you bought the Orion in order to help you did out
the weak stations or simply offer functional options that were important
to you that you didn't already have than the Orion either delivered or
it didn't. If it delivered then what is there to complain about? If it
didn't (and the Jupiter and RX-350 didn't for me) then you move forward
because you have options!... and the Orion II may be that option.

Frankly, common sense indicates that Ten-Tec can not offer you as much
in trade up as you would get selling outright. Imagine taking your 2002
Honda back to the dealer cause you want the newer 2005 model and you
want the entire purchase price of your old car! Never happen. First of
all Ten-Tec doesn't just stick a used sticker on the transceiver....
they check them out... align as needed and warranty the sale... and they
have to make some money on that process. But it is still an option and
for some less painful than selling on their own.

One of the other reasons why I buy the older rig's is that they don't
suffer this instant depreciation when the next, super, improved model
comes out. I suspect that used Orions will probably sell for around
$2500 which is about $500 less than what used ones go for now. That
makes the original Orion a more attractive option for fence sitters like
me and therefore provides a selling option to those who want the latest
and the greatest.

Hmmmm, to think 40 some years ago I used a National NC-46 with an Ameco
three tube transmitter and I had a blast!

73,
Jerry, KG6TT