[TenTec] Orion II a different thought

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II a different thought
From: "Pete Juliano" <jessystems@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:53:50 -0700
Thanks Scott for announcing the Orion II. This reflector was getting a little
stale with talk of vertical antennas. In one short message you have revitalized
the whole area and tone of discussion. A much welcomed relief!

I do not own an Orion so have no axe to grind. But in all fairness guys, Ten
Tec is in business and needs to remain competitive. The Orion II is part of a
competitive business strategy. Those with Orion I's you are being included not
excluded. How would you feel if TT didn't care about their customer base and
simply announced no backward compatibiity with the software? It would have been
a far simpler task to just write all new software and not worry about
compatibility with the prior model. The heart of the Orion in addition to some
excellent engineering is the software --that is the whole concept of SDR.

Orion II responds to market pressures --many wanted a color display and to do
that meant a different processor. Would have it been nice to have a hardware
upgrade --probably? But those involved with engineering design know well that
it some point the cost to retrofit does not make economic sense.

If TT does what they stated,  one should be able to have a blindfold on and
listen to the two versions of the radios (albeit possibly some diffrences in
hardware filter capablity) and you would be hard pressed to tell the
difference. There will be visual differences but most of us listen to our
radios!

TT is still the small group of hardy souls who challenged the marketplace with
the Orion I. They now need to take those steps necessary to remain in that
marketplace. Perhaps a more fruitful discussion is: does the Orion II just meet
the competition or has it taken the next leap. I remember when Swan came out
with so many "new" models --it mostly was a response to the unavailabity of
certain sweep tubes. The output tubes changed and we got a new model; but the
basic receive capability was just the same. Today we are all hungry for
improved receiver performance -- does Orion II bring anything new to the table.
Now that is a worthwhile discussion.

Pete W6JFR