[TenTec] Orion II a different thought

To: "Ten-Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II a different thought
From: "john, ke5c" <ke5c@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:35:22 -0500
> I do not own an Orion so have no axe to grind. But in all fairness
guys ...

thanks!  it's so easy to be an expert when you're not involved.
whenever i read post posts about how i am supposed to feel about my
orion by those who haven't spent the $3600 to buy one, i feel so much
better.  but then the flip side of free speech is, it's worth what you
paid for it -  talk really is cheap.  the other folks whose comments
really help are those from the orion co-dependency treatment group.

seriously, the morning after, i really don't feel as tricked as i
thought i might.  the facts seem to be that i knew the orion software
had some noticeable glitches, and just maybe the hardware did too, but
yet i was intrigued enough by the receiver that i wanted to explore it
indepth and was willing to pay to do so.  i still very much like the
receiver, and i am still very much irritated that the control
processer simply can't keep up with the user interface, much less run
the spectrum scope, but overall i'm also still happy with my decision,
and i'll live with the glitches before i spend $4100 less whatever i
can now get for my orion, an amount likely $1000 less than i could
have gotten two days ago, but perhaps that value may recover some if
version 2 software really works - after version 1, i am obligated to
be objective, not hopeful.  of course, i do feel confident that paul
will fix my orion when it breaks.  actually it came broken - one of
the keying loops doesn't work, but it's too much work to send it back
for just that.

as far as the color display, i think it's smart to add that while
fixing the hardware problems.  that way you don't have to follow with
the orion iii (ii plus color) when the orion ii orders start falling
off, which at a kilobuck more than the pro iii ("YOUR HRO PRICE
$2999.99"), might now be sooner than expected.  (plus you draw
attention from the real issues.)

what worries me a lot more is the new proposed fcc rules (no code
required, "more efficient use of spectrum") which may well lead to the
 elimination of cw subbands furthering the impending demise of cw.  i
am still an active member of the cw co-dependency treatment group.
have a nice day.