Re: [TenTec] One More Time

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] One More Time
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:03:49 -0500
snip

>Now it seems that we keep forgetting, ham radio is only a hobby.  Expensive
>one to some, not so expensive to others.  It relative.  It's no different
>and not much more expensive in many cases than flying RC model planes.  One
>small radio glitch or one pilot error and a $2000 craft strikes tera-firma
>at a rapid and usually accelerating pace leaving one to collect the pieces
>and start all over.  And there's nothing offered FREE either.  Better yet,
>me for one, in the past I fly the real planes for a hobby.  Buy the farm
>with one of those babies and you just spent some $30 to $50K or more.  Oh,
>don't forget the required annual inspections at some $3000 to $5000 each
>and these don't seem very free either.  And that too is only a hobby.

snip

Not all hams believe or consider it a hobby.  Some or devoted to emergency
type operations, some or devoted to traffic handling, some or devoted to
experimenting and home brewing.  I'm not even sure Part 97 defines it as a
"hobby"

Agree, that most may consider it a hobby, including myself,  I may be wrong,
but I am not in the minority!

73, Jim dewd4air