Re: [TenTec] The future of The Orion I

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The future of The Orion I
From: "A. Sewell" <n5na@att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:29:34 -0500
W. Engelke wrote:

>Still the announcement of a follow-on product was a shock because it seemed to
>me the Orion was still a pretty new product. Alas that is not the case with
>electronics. I am a bit concerned about the O1 and its current owners for the
>follwing reasons:
>
>1.  Will V2 really fix timing problems in the O1 chip, since it is a slower
>processor?

Per W4PA on 7/21

"The DragonBall processor in the original Orion is up to the task of
accomodating all the functionality of the transceiver
itself..........................What I have said before - and will say
again, is that perhaps wehaven't used the DragonBall to its full
capability...hence the v2.0 of thefirmware."

>2.  I'd guess that the use of the DragonBall Super VZ for the O2 was made
>because this chip would have the same instruction set as the original
>processor, giving an easier implementation of V2.  Very reasonable. But a
>check of Freescale's web site seems to imply that they are about to
>discontinue the entire DragonBall line. (See
>http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC68SZ328&nodeId=01J4Fs2973vL2v
> ). Wow- how about that - the O2's processor is obsolete and possibly
>discontinued before the first customer-ready O2 is sold.

Per W4PA on 7/21:

"The reason we were given by Freescale that it's listed as "do not base
new designs" is because a lead-free solder use replacement part is going
to be issued. Instead of merely stating that as the reason on the
website, it's listed as "do not base new designs" without a description
of why this would be the case. A recent phone call to Freescale from a
Ten-Tec employee provided the explanation that they hadn't gotten around
to making the appropriate changes to their website."