[TenTec] Question re Orion vs Icom IC-7800

To: Discussion Ten-Tec Equipment of <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Question re Orion vs Icom IC-7800
From: Randy K7RAN <k7randy@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:59:14 -0600
Last night I worked a very nice fellow on 40 CW who had just taken
delivery of his new IC-7800 yesterday. I understand that this is a
$10k radio (or basically 2.5 on the OCS [Orion Cost Scale], hi).
Afterward, I was curious and went to the Icom web site and read this
bit of marketing copy: "Icom's 40 years of analog RF circuit
experience combined with cutting edge digital technology results in
an astonishing 110dB receiver dynamic range and a +40dBm IP3 in the
HF bands. A first in Ham radio!"

Questions:

1) How does their quote "astonishing 110db receiver dynamic range"
compare with the Orion's performance? Isn't it true that our Orion
receiver beats it pretty handily?
2) What does "+40dBm IP3" mean? How does that compare with Orion?
3) What does "A first in Ham radio!" mean? Are they saying that their
specs are so tremendous that they beat anything out there (including
Orion's superior specs)? Or are they saying that when they first
brought this radio to market nobody could touch them at that point?
(Or, praytell, is this just another example of someone testing the
FTC's truth in advertising provisions?)

73,

Randy K7RAN