Re: [TenTec] INRAD ROOFING FILTER & AUDIO MOD FOR OMNI VI

To: ve1bn@ns.sympatico.ca, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] INRAD ROOFING FILTER & AUDIO MOD FOR OMNI VI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:56:34 -1000
Hi Don,

> Pete's note made things easy, correction for P96 pins does help!!
> What do
> you think of it?

I guess I already deleted it, and it is not showing up in the archives
yet. I think I recall he was using the LP button. Seems like a good way
to go, as one would always want the LP filter in when using the narrow
CW roofing filter. Still when not using the narrow roofing filter you
might want to be able to turn the LP on.

I have only owned an Omni VI since I have lived in Hilo. The number of
HF active hams that can produce a strong signal within 100 miles of me
can probably counted on one hand. And the number within 2000 miles is
probably fewer than 50. I have no antennas with greater than unity gain,
so DX signals, even when propagation is excellent, are seldom going to
be so strong as to overload my receiver front end. So I have more need
for best performance of the Noise Blanker than for a narrow roofing
filter. I suspect that the 500 Hz filter in the N-2 position works just
as well as a similar filter in front of the whole 9 MHz IF board would,
for the strength of close in signals that my rig has to deal with. I can
see that most anywhere in North America or Europe the narrow roofing
filter mod could prevent IMD in Q1 or D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6 that is not
prevented by a filter further down the signal path in either the N-1 or
N-2  slots of an unmodified Omni VI + or version 3.

DE N6KB