[TenTec] Paragon backpanel AUX +13.8 fuse

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon backpanel AUX +13.8 fuse
From: WB2RHM - Ben Antanaitis <WB2RHM@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:36:27 -0400
Thanks to all.

Allowing an unprotected external connection to the main power is a
poor design point. This was probably compounded by using an RCA male
to RCA male cable to the attached device. The exposed RCA male pin,
with it's non-current limited +13.8V, was all too easy come in
contact with some source of ground where the pin, and the +13.8V
power source, became SHORTED causing an OPEN somewhere in the source
wiring to the AUX +13.8V connector of the Paragon.

I will be tracing the path from power source to the external
connector. I will add a 32V rated fuse in the line, probably a 500ma
quick blow.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

73,
Ben