[TenTec] Ten Tec serial numbers, updates, warranty

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec serial numbers, updates, warranty
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:10:02 -0400
K9RT:
>Looking at purchasing a used Orion and have several to chose from.

Rather than simply looking at serial numbers,
you might want to also consider documentation of
hardware updates. A 2 year old unit that has been
updated recently might actually be better than a 1
year old unit that has not had any updates. For
example my August 2003 unit was updated in May 2005,
and should be more current than a 2004 unit that has
not been back to the factory. This might also be a good reason to buy a unit from the factory
(besides the warranty). Of course firmware is not
an issue because of the update capability.

        Speaking of warranty, I used Visa's Warranty
Service Manager since I bought my new unit with a
Visa Signature Card.  This doubles the standard
warranty period up to 1 additional year, so my
Orion was repaired at no cost to me in May 2005 even
though it was purchased in August 2003.  I always
purchase electronic gear with Visa and have had
excellent service from them on several previous
claims.

73, Bill W4ZV

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_warranty_mgr.html

Warranty Manager Service offers Extended Warranty Protection coverage that doubles the free repair period under the original manufacturer's written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible Visa card.