Re: [TenTec] [RFI] Whirlpool Duet RFI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [RFI] Whirlpool Duet RFI
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:37:38 -0500
Basically the Whirlpool Duet and Maytag Neptune use the same technology to
control the motor.

Neither of the companies will do much if anything to solve the noise
problem.  First, they don't perceive it as a problem.  If the machine washes
then it's doing what it's designed to do.  They have enough business keeping
them doing just that.  Anyway, both designs came from Europe.  And they make
"like" machines for other companies under names like Kenmore etc.  The issue
of "quiet" refers to acoustic noise while it's running.  Nothing to do with
it electrically.

The solution today is for the user/owner to install ferrite on the power
cords, as close to the machine as possible.  Make as many turns as possible
on/through a donut.

Personally, if I had the problem today, I'd order a couple of big donuts
from Amidon, 2" OD x 1" ID x 1/2" thick,  put them on the power cord by
winding several turns and go back to hamming.

73
Bob, K4TAX