[TenTec] Whirlpool Duet, Neptune, Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Whirlpool Duet, Neptune, Orion
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:07:42 -0700 (PDT)
I was testing with the Whirlpool Duet RFI on 20m this
weekend. I saw S4 on average over the 20 meter band on
the horizontal antenna, and S9 to S7 with BUZZZ every
10 khz or so on the antenna I use most, a GAP
vertical.

I also have a fan dipole in the attic fed with twin
lead. I used that as the external antenna for a new
MFJ-1026 here and was amazed to find that when that
device is phasing out the hash, you would hardly know
that the washer was running.

Similar good results with a 27' SONY Trinitron in the
shack although it's a touchier tune. As a last line of
defense, this unit is good insurance. There are also
none of the usual "blanker" side effects.

I remember when the rig manufacturers started
integrating "Timewave" style DSP devices in their
transceivers. It seems to me that Orion could have one
of these phasing devices built in, and just an RCA
plug on the back of the set for the external antenna.

With new local noise sources popping up at the current
rate, I expect many guys that don't know it now may
need one in the future.