Re: [TenTec] Centurion Squeal and Oscillation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Squeal and Oscillation
From: Carter - K8VT <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:31:13 -0400
Henry Pfizenmayer wrote:

>  So In summation.
>
>  40 meter oscillation - be sure you have at least 8 feet of RG8 or
>  RG8X cable between the exciter and the. amp

When I first got my Centurion, it had quite low output on just 15
meters. I called TT and the fix was...a longer jumper between the Omni
VI and the Centurion.

Also, I had to replace my fan and, yes, you do have to remove the tubes
and RFC.

BTW, while on the topic of the RFC, my rig was not in use for a few
months. When I turned it on, there was a loud bang and a bright flash.
As it turns out, the bottom end of the RFC winding vaporized, probably
due to either dust or a spider web. (???)  It seems that the mylar
washer between  the chassis and the bottom of the RFC is a) very thin
and b) very narrow; i.e., the edge of this washer protrudes only about
1/16th beyond the edge of the RFC. I made a new washer from Teflon, a
bit thicker and larger in diameter. This and a new RFC from TT and
problem fixed.

-73-
Carter
K8VT