[TenTec] Omni VI+ Filter configuration

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ Filter configuration
From: "Roger Borowski" <K9RB@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:01:51 -0500
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ Filter configuration

Don't forget the best of 'em all for weak signal CW, the model #221 filter
which is identical to the #218 except is centered at 500 Hz. audio frequency
and makes the Omni VI Plus "the rig" for those who prefer a lower pitch CW
note, which really aids top band CW DX'ers pull real weak CW signals out of
the mud. My Omni VI Plus model 564 is equipped like K4TAX's in the 6.3MHz.
I.F. but I have the 9 MHz. I.F. equipped with the #216 for digital modes and
the #221 for CW. In addition, I just recently added the INRAD matching
roofing filter to my Omni VI Plus which centered at 500 Hz. audio frequency
in tandem with the #221, and the #282 has made this rig the answer to 45
years of DX'ing, contesting, and dreaming and makes it worth every penny
spent to me. Signals on 160 and 80 meters that I just barely heard before
now just jump right out Q5. The INRAD addition allows for selectivity I only
dreamed of, with S9 plus 40dB. signals less than 1 KHz. away from a weak DX
signal that doesn't even move the S Meter no longer any problem copying the
weak DX signal! If the increased selectivity or low tone isn't optimal for
you during contesting while "running" a frequency, all one needs to do is
turn off the #221, which I have in "N2" and that, in turn, turns off the
roofing filter and you can operate with any of the three 6.3 MHz. I.F.
filters for the selectivity that suits you. I find it the best of all
situations. I had been using a Kenwood TS-950SDX for the past 13 years, and
it still ranks superior on SSB, RTTY, and PSK31, but for very weak CW
signals, it no longer comes close to the Omni VI Plus equipped as I have it.
My 950SDX has the 270/250 Kenwood filter combo for CW and I await the INRAD
roofing filter for it to become available. With it's variable pitch, AF VBT
and IF VBT, and quadruple conversion, it certainly has the flexibility to
have improved selectivity performance with the addition of a roofing filter
added to the CW mode too.
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-