Re: [TenTec] RX-320

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX-320
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:25:29 -0800 (PST)
--- warhover <warhover@htc.net> wrote:

> What is the difference between the RX-320 and the RX-320D?

The "D" model adds a 12kHz IF out jack for outboard signal
processing, it's generally targeted toward DRM broadcast
decoders though other uses are certainly viable. The other
notable change is that the D model has some minor circuit
changes to make it perform better on frequencies bellow 1MHz.
The original 320 drops off quite dramatically on those lower
frequencies. However with some relatively minor mods the
original 320 can do quite well on the frequencies bellow the
AM broadcast band as well, stock it is rather deaf down
there.

> I have owned a Pegasus, and considered its receive audio to
> be excellent.  Is the RX-320 comparable in receive audio?

Mostly yes, the filters have essentially the same
characteristics with same 34 choices available. Most of the
audio performance differences from the Pegasus that I've
noted are directly attributable to the lack of a RF gain
control on the 320 (item 1 below).

> Does the RX-320 have provision for a remote encoder, such
> as the Griffin PowerMate?

Not directly but I believe via N4PY software and perhaps some
other control programs as well.

> I would appreciate any other input that anyone deems
> pertinent.

Having both here I think you will find that you will miss
some or all of the following items that the Pegasus can do
that the 320 can't.

1. No RF gain control on the 320, not having it really does
hurt when you are on a band with lots of big signals.

2. No noise reduction or noise blanking on the 320.

3. No notch filter on the 320.

4. No FM mode or squelch on the 320.

5. A much slower serial connection on the 320, it's only 1200
baud vs. the 56K of the Pegasus. Makes a big difference when
you want to move around the band quickly or use spectrum
sweep. The 320 is quite easy to overrun with commands, that
is really hard to do on the Pegasus.

6. The 320 is not flash ROM updateable. Is pretty much a moot
point of late since no new firmware updates have been
released for the Pegasus in well over 2 years now.

If these differences are not an issue for you then the 320
will do fine. No doubt it is one of the best "bang for the
buck" receivers out there.

Duane
N9DG