[TenTec] RCS-4

To: Rick@DJ0IP.de
Subject: [TenTec] RCS-4
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:51:35 -0800 (PST)
Rick

I have extensive experiene with this switch.  The way
it works is in pos 4 there is no voltage on the line
and all relays are desenergized.  Each of the other
are switched by one of the following voltages

+12v
-12V
12v AC

The relays in the remote box are not in parallel, but
are switched in serial using diode logic according to
the voltage presented to the diode.  The AC is
rectified at the remote switch box to either a + or a
- the relays to determine what relays are active to
give that choice.  The logic is strait forward if you
know the above voltage scheme.  You can measure the
voltages on the back of the circuit board where the
choke connects to the circuit board and change the
switch position.  It's a clever design.

I made mine into an auto switch arrangement for my
Orion using some dpdt relays in parallel with the
switch positions, and a switch mounted on the front
panel that switches between auto and manual.  I use
the logic out of the Orion to fire the relays.  I use
relays instead of devices like optoisolators bacause
of the AC on one leg.

I live in FL and don't have the temp issue you have
but my guess is a cold solder joint or a blown diode
somewhere in the remote box.

Hope this helps

How did the open wire project work out?

Lee W9OY