[TenTec] Lots of fun with the Omni V (CW Operating)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Lots of fun with the Omni V (CW Operating)
From: "Darwin, Keith" <Keith.Darwin@goodrich.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:06:29 -0500
I finally got a bit of time to actually operate the Omni V.  I've been
so busy setting up and doing A/B listening tests between the Omni and
the TS-830s that I haven't actually done any operating.  Are you curious
what differences I heard between the Omni V and 830s?

So last night I had about 30 minutes to tune around the bottom of 40
meters.  I had two quick QSOs, one with DL and the one with LU.  I've
worked these countries before but it was still fun.  That Omni is just
so smooth.  The QSK is wicked sweet, the AGC is a great improvement over
the audio-derived versions in prior rigs and the audio filtering is a
welcome feature on CW.  Yep, I really enjoyed the QSOs and just
operating the rig.  Oh yea, and the kent paddles sure didn't hurt any
;-)

There seems to be a fair amount written about how much better the Omni
VI series is than the Omni V.  It leads one to believe the V wasn't that
good of a rig isn't that desirable.  I have heard from a couple of folks
that they had Omni VI+, Corsair II and Omni V and kept the Omni V.
Well, I've never had a VI or VI+, but this V is doing a great job for
me.  I prefer it to the sweet Corsair II I had, and that was a bit
better than the Omni D it replaced.

The TS-830s?  Man, what a great rig.  I'm sure the new owner will enjoy
it.  Maybe I'll get a chance to work him with my Omni V :-)

- Keith -