Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 vs. Jupiter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 vs. Jupiter
From: "M. P. Haynes" <k4beh@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:06:56 -0500
Hi Jeff,

I didn't respond at first because I wanted to see what others thought.  I
have to agree that the Omni VI or even the Omni V are the better CW rig
with lots of nice features, especially when loaded with filters in both
I.F.'s.  However, the Jupiter holds it's own pretty well in all but
contest or weak signal work.  The DSP generated filters, while nowhere
near as steep sided, are very easy to use and do a respectable job in all
but the most crowded conditions.  The DSP noise reduction algorithm is
excellent, though not as good as the Omni VI+.  The received audio is
fuller than the Omni's, especially on the model 307 speaker.  Also to be
considered is the fact that the Jupiter can transmit and receive A.M.
(actually SSB with carrier injected) and the Omni can't.  In fact the
Omni does not have an A.M. mode even on receive (the Paragon does and the
Paragon II can both receive and transmit pseudo A.M. like the Jupiter),
plus the fact that the Jupiter is general coverage allowing you to listen
to foreign broadcasts (A.M.) outside the ham bands.  It also allows
monitoring WWV on all their transmitted frequencies and not just 10 mHz
like the Omni's do.  Additionally the Jupiter can transmit on the new 5.0
 mHz channels and the Omni's can't.  So my thoughts are, if you already
have an Omni then the Jupiter would be my choice for a backup/auxiliary
rig for the reasons mentioned.  If you buy a new one you have the thirty
day return policy also, so you can try it risk free.  I have one which I
used as my primary rig until I recently bought an Omni VI+ from an estate
sale and now am selling my Jupiter (my backup rig is a Paragon.)  I
always got excellent reports on the Jupe on SSB, A.M. or CW.  You'll like
it!

73,

Pat Haynes-K4BEH