Re: [TenTec] Headphone alarmists

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphone alarmists
From: <cnagel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:15:48 -0600
Hey, people, be careful with your comments. There's lots of air between you
and a speaker but hardly any between a headphone clamped on your head and
your ears. Make a conscious effort to monitor the volume. I have known a
number of hams during my 51 years in amateur radio whose hearing was
significantly degraded. You can tell who they are if you should walk into
their shack and experience high volume sound coming out of their radios. If
you think it's unusually loud it's very likely because they habitually crank
up the sound louder and louder to compensate for their own gradual hearing
decline. A recent article appeared in our local newspaper about many of our
youth that have experienced a hearing loss because of too much sound
confined to their ears as the result headphones and boom boxes. This did not
surprise me. I have known many seniors who have declining hearing health not
necessarily due to age but from spending their working lives in noisy
environments. Amateur radio will continue to be a pleasure only if you
maintain hearing health. Guard your ears!

Charles, K0CW