Re: [TenTec] Calls??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Calls??
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:52:13 EST
In a message dated 1/13/06 7:38:49 AM GMT Standard Time, w8au@sssnet.com
writes:
> Gee, Ray, what happened to K2QBW?  I have your QSL from the seventies...
> and what about that Sputnik reception back in 1957?  Was it KN2QBW then?
> Still chasing satellites?
> :-)
>
> Perry   w8au   (w8vyu in 1955-75)

No, I stopped being KN2QBW in early 1956.  I've had several other calls along
the way in various places, but in 1976 I switched from K2QBW to W2RS, in part
because the call was available and I didn't want anyone else to get it, and
in part because a lot of people were confusing me with my friend Joel, K2QBV,
also a DXer and still K2QBV.  Now, after 30 years, W2RS is me and vice versa
:-)

I'm not very active on satellites any more -- kinda been there, done that --
but I still have fun managing and operating in SKN on OSCAR every year.  I
also do the occasional demo operation of the FM satellites for local radio
clubs,
showing the people how easy it is to get on with a dual-band HT and a simple
antenna.  Mostly, though, I like to work DX on CW, more often than not 40 or
80 meters.  Come to think of it, that's what I did 50 years ago too....

Enough for now, thanks for the bandwidth guys.

73,

Ray W2RS