[TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:31:06 -0800 (PST)
I tried my brand new Argonaut V on SSB this weekend, I
checked into the Ten Tec SSB Net and net control made
a recording for me using the same antenna and
microphone (TT 705 desk mic), switching from the OMNI
VI+ to the Argonaut V.

The Argo V audio is about as restricted as I could
possibly imagine it, "dixie cup" quality or about the
same as a K2 (or that little Radio Shack 10 meter
rig).

It really needs to be be better than that.

Ten Tec corrected the ALC transmit audio distortion
problem with firmware rev 1.08 and associated harware
mods, but they didn't take this far enough, I hate to
think they feel they've resolved the SSB transmit
audio issue completely.

That having been said, I frequently lose my microphone
for long periods of time and so this issue would not
be a deal breaker for the radio.

I have the MP3 recording that was made for me by
Dudley (WA5QPZ) on his Jupiter, email me if you would
like to hear it
and I'll send it as an email attachment.

As it stands, I'd advise anyone that does SSB to avoid
the Argo V even though I love the radio.

73,
de Don WB8YQJ/6
wb8yqj at Yahoo.com