Re: [TenTec] Orion firmware statistics and drift info

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion firmware statistics and drift info
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:42:50 -0800
Martin:

Thanks for posting that information.  I have uploaded the new version, and
AM works fine now, with 100% power equaling 40 carrier as measured with a
Bird 43 and dummy load.  I also checked the CW output since someone had
mentioned that on the list recently, and found that key-down output power is
dead-on 100 Watts all bands.  I have no way of measuring PEP.

BTW, I read your posts about the slight Orion drift problem, and found
similar results on the O2, although the O2 seems to stabilize within about
35 minutes.   Mine still is 10 Hz high on 15 MHz (reads 10 Hz low on zero
beat), so I'll probably set it right on soon.  I put a temperature probe
from a Protek 608 DVM inside the chassis near the master oscillator module
and it shows a total warm-up of 45 degrees F over the shack temperature,
nearly exactly what you had estimated.  I'm looking at the meter now and
it's reading 114.8 F in a 69 F shack after running about 90 minutes.  Last
night, I tracked the frequency drift against the temperature and found a
correlation of around +.7 Hz per degree F (again with zero-beat reading -.7
Hz/degree) on 15 MHz.  Once warmed up, the radio stays rock stable, within
+- .5 Hz at 15 MHz.

This information leads me to believe that this minor issue may be cured by
simply putting a small fan on the chassis partition just in front of the
oscillator module and blowing cool air across it. This should substantially
reduce the temperature build-up in that part of the chassis, and if my
theory is right, after about 10-15 minutes of warm-up time, the frequency
should stabilize with no perceptible drift.  Should make the components last
longer and could slow long-term oscillator drift as well.

I'll report back to the list what I find.

Ron
N6AHA