Re: [TenTec] S meter and RF gain

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>,toby423@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S meter and RF gain
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:28:22 -0600
Having several receivers at hand, Collins, Hammurland, Tentec, &
Rhode-Schwarz, some which when the RF gain is reduced the S meter moves up
scale and some when the RF gain is reduced the S meter then indicates the
amount of AGC action, I prefer the ones which when RF gain is reduced the S
meter indicates the remaining AGC action.  It seems that the total dynamic
range is preserved in this condition.

With the Collins, when the RF gain is reduced the S meter moves up scale.
The 60 over 9 signal still indicates 60 over 9 on peaks and the overload
remains as the AGC can't handle that level of signal, although the
background noise is now masked by the reduce RF gain and bias applied to the
IF stages.  With the Hammurland when the RF gain is reduced some amount, the
S meter falls back to some level representative of the signal driving the
AGC on the RF and IF stages.  Same true for the Paragon II and Omni VI Plus.
As to the Rhode-Schwarz, well you name it, it will do it.

I find it very effective to adjust the RF gain such that with no signal
present except man made and atmospheric noise to such value that the S meter
indicates about S-1 or S-2, no more.  I hear folks all the time saying that
they can't copy a signal because of a S-9 line noise.  That indicates to me
that they simply need to reduce the RF gain to allow the AGC to do what it
does best.  On the other hand, if the RF gain on the radio that swings the S
meter up scale is adjusted to get rig of the noise, it also get rid of the
weak signals.

In all receives above, at max RF gain a 50 uV signal will give a S-9 meter
reading except for the Collins where the reference is 100 uV for S-9.

I guess we want it both ways plus one more.

73
Bob, K4TAX