[TenTec] Omni VI Meter Lamp dimming

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Meter Lamp dimming
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:15:44 -1000
The meter lamps on my Omni VI dim noticeably when either the VOX or
SPLIT LEDS are lighted. It is doubtful that this is due to a power
supply lead voltage dropping from the increased load of the LEDs, for
two reasons. The amount of current the LEDs use is probabaly less than
20 mA each, and the controlled voltage source for the meter lamps is on
a completely different board, the Low Level Driver Board. So the
amplitude or duty cycle of the "digit driving pulses" coming from the
LED Display Drive Board must be changing when the SPLIT or VOX LEDs are
turned on. This doesn't seem right.

Anyone else with an Omni VI notice this, or know what the cause is?

I also found some inconsistancies in the LED Display Board Schematic.
Several of the seven segment displays have two "CAT"s and no "COL",
which I presume are cathodes and collectors. And a bunch of the "CAT"s
and "COL"s show no connection. Doesn't seem right.

DE N6KB