Re: [TenTec] Orion monitor in v2 beta

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <ditsnbits@tentec.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion monitor in v2 beta
From: "Chuck Chandler" <charles_chandler@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:52:09 -0600
One thing I noticed right away was the Speech Processing seems to run away
with the mic gain.  One of my prior tests for a good clean signal was to
switch to the dummy load then key the mic and remain silent.  The external
power meter on its 20-watt scale would then read around 1/2 watt from my 500
watt amp, with just a bit above idle plate current.  Good test to be sure no
RF is getting into the signal, background noise is not objectionable, etc.

Anyways, doing this test results in a quick "whoosh" in the headset from the
monitor as the power ramps right up.  It seems to get about 300 watts from
the amp blower, which was never a problem before.  If you speak right after
keying and don't pause, it stays mostly under control but its definitely a
problem.

SP has been left at 5, where it was on v1.372.  I may try backing it down.

Also, I do hear the key clicks in my left ear but not the right.

Other than that, the v2 has been stable so far.  It does seem quieter and
the sweep works very well.