Re: [TenTec] Hi Fi SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hi Fi SSB
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:14:07 -0600
snip

>I'm confused, isn't it also a natural tendency for
>those in the Ham Radio "hobby" to enjoy putting out a
>stronger signal. It sure sounds a lot better on the
>air. Where should we stop at maximizing QRO?  Should
>we change the numbers to 4,000 watts,  6,000 watts,
>hey, I'll bet 10,000 Watts would really give me a nice
>signal. Just think of my signal reports! Especially if
>I ran my audio at 6 MHZ wide, too. What about the
>silly Band limits? Oh baby, I love this hobby. (I
>agree Robert)

snip

I am not sure it is "a natural tendency for those in the Ham Radio 'hobby'
to putting out a stronger signal."  Maybe there is a desire to have a clean
signal that is what the T is in RST.  Most amateur radio operators try and
abide by Part 97 where it is stated that only use enough power to provide
satisfactory communication.

I recall in the late 60s when CB was big, there seemed to be a lot of CBers
who had this "more power syndrome"  (MPS).  A lot of these people have since
become hams, and sometimes it shows.

73, Jim wd4air