[TenTec] PTO lube

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] PTO lube
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:23:49 +0000
All ideas on PTO maint. are always welcome.  this topic comes up about once
every 12 months.  I owned a Corsair II and experienced the jerking of the
pto on cw (beat note jumping around) but it wasn't so noticeable on ssb.   I
took the cover off and looked at the pto to do a rebuild and immediately
flashed back to an attempt years earlier on a curburator rebuild where I had
more parts left at the end than I had at the beginning.   I put the cover
back on and sent it to Ten Tec.  Back it came with the red gunk and no
change in the pto herky jerky behavior on cw.   A friend advised lubing it
with teflon gun grease, but at that point I decided I had a 17 or 18 year
old rig on the skids, and the time had come to stick with shaft encoders and
microprocessors.   As my part in helping the next generation along, I
practically gave it away to a new ham who was short on cash and wanting to
set up a HF station.   After all the times this topic has come up mentioning
all these improved lubricants, I do not understand why Ten Tec continues to
use the red junk that turns into tar.  Maybe they bought 5 tons of it at
some point in the past.

rob / k5uj