Re: [TenTec] QST AD

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QST AD
From: joel hallas <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:12:55 -0500
Well, expanded reviews do give you a lot of good data. OTOH, the intent
of the QST review is to balance it with subjective assessment of  how it
"feels" to run the radio. Great numbers are fine, but the smell and feel
of the radio is important too, at least IMHO. Subjective reports have
the downside of the being viewed through the lens of the observer, but
be assured that advertising revenue doesn't enter into the equation.

An interesting comparison is that between the FTDX-9000 Contest data and
the data we measured in the ARRL Lab on the "HBR-2000", also in the
March issue. This is Markus Hanson's home brew high-performance
transceiver. It puts most commercial gear to shame! Gentlemen - start
your soldering irons!

Joel Hallas, W1ZR
(Technical Editor, QST)