Re: [TenTec] QSK Bug in O2 2.031

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK Bug in O2 2.031
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:51:46 -0800
Grant:

70 WPM is way more than I'll ever need!!  At any rate, I only set QSK to
drop out between letters, not individual dits and dahs.

The radio is definitely telling the amp to transmit and stay in transmit.  I
check the voltages on the TX OUT line just now in both version, and here are
my findings:

v. 2.030:

    Orion II in RCV, amp in Standby = 3.29 V
    Orion II in XMT, amp in Standby = .018 V
    Orion II in RCV, amp Ready: = 23.16 V
    Orion II in XMT, amp Ready (xmitting) = .034 V

v. 2.031:

    Orion II in RCV, amp in Standby = 3.29 V
    Orion II in XMT, amp in Standby = .018 V
    Orion II in RCV, amp Ready: = .034 V (after a few initial transmissions.
Amp stays 'triggered')
    Orion II in XMT, amp Ready (xmitting) = .034 V

Going back to v. 2.020 cures problem.

I see where the problem may lie:  The 23.16 Volts on the line when it is in
Ready...that's higher than TT recommends, and could have something to do
with the problem.  Actually, as I read the schematic of the Titan, it should
be around 28 V.  What may be needed is transistor in between to key the
23.16 V and isolate it from the Orion II.

I'll send this to TT and see what the response is.

Ron
N6AHA