Re: [TenTec] observations of my Orion with V 1.372 (better yet 1.371)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] observations of my Orion with V 1.372 (better yet 1.371)
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:41:49 EST
With 2.0555, I hear no difference in noise no matter where the filter taps
are set.  If I set them as low as 32, the bandpass is too wide, and there  is
no difference in the noise. Advancing the NR to 8 or 9 reduces the  noise a
little but adds a crackling distortion that is even more  annoying.

This morning I have a constant S7 roar on 40 meters.  Reducing  the RF gain
will reduce both the noise and the signal.  When I crank  up the AF gain to
compensate for the loss of signal the S/N ratio is the  same.  Turning on the
NR
makes very little difference.

Reloading 1.371, I have the same S7 roar but when I turn on the NR the  noise
goes down to S1.  The radio is very quiet but signals pop up out of  the
little noise remaining.  There is no hissing in the background.   That hiss is
annoying and fatiguing but with the NR the radio is very easy  to listen to.
That hiss has been there since I listened on my first  crystal set but 1.371
spoiled me because it showed me we don't have to put up  with it.

Does it make a difference in the S/N - you bet it does!  There  is YJ on
right now, with the NR off he is well below the noise. I can hear  him but no
copy.  If I turn on the NR, I can copy him.

PLEASE let's go back to the NR that worked like DSP noise reduction is
supposed to work -- by identifying and reducing white noise and passing
signals.

BTW, I did the hardware mod for ver 2.xxx and when I go back to 1.371 the
sweep seems to be working much better (like it does in 2.xxx).  Is this my
imagination?

K4ia  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia  USA