Re: [TenTec] Great Contest Radio?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Great Contest Radio?
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:22:34 -0500
I agree with Merle that the V2 version of the firmware needs a lot of work
before it resembles anything like what we have in V1 of the code.  Stability
is preferred of course,  but not at the expense of losing performance like
we have in the V1 code.

I question at this point whether TT is willing to spend the time and money
to bring the V2 code to perfection.  Perfections means different things to
different people.  A programmer might think the V2 code is perfect since it
is stable,  and therefore conclude his job is finished.  An owner of the
Orion with V2 code will more than likely not consider the code perfect until
all functions work properly, or at least as good as the V1 code.

There was really nothing wrong with the V1 code except for the stability
issue,  what we needed was the V1 code to be more stable,  and what we did
not need was a code that made the Orion a different kind of animal,  whose
functions are sub-optimal when compared to the V1 code.  But that is what
has happened in this case.

I suspect most of us Classic Orion owners are running the V1 code in one
version or another,  waiting for a miracle to happen with the V2 code.  Lets
hope we are not in for a long wait.    Toby  W4CAK