Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:43:31 -0800
The audio output chip in the Orion is the TDA1013B by Phillips, which is
adequate for the job although not THX Hi-Fi by any means!  You can see all
the specs and performance data at:

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat_download/datasheets/TDA1013B_CNV_2.pdf

The chip is designed to deliver 2.5 Watts into an 8 Ohm load with 13.8 volts
power and distortion under 10%.  It will deliver closer to 4 Watts into 4
Ohms, and lower power into progressively higher impedances.  Distortion
specs are actually quite good if the chip is not pushed to the limit.

I find that the speakers levels are quite loud using a Kenwood SP-31 for the
external speaker, which is a fairly efficient unit.  Lesser efficiency
speakers will make the acoustic levels lower, so the key is 4-8 Ohms (lower
is better, but beware of too low, or the power dissipation will be too
high),  and high efficiency enclosure design to get the most volume in the
room.

Ron N6AHA