Re: [TenTec] Scout?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:33:20 -0500
Well, the Scout can be a quirky radio. I've been inside mine a few times
trying to fix the frequency hopping. Playing with the temperature
compensation caps yielded inconclusive results. The keying mod described
in QST helps, but what helped me the most was backing the power off to
about 35 watts or putting a computer CPU fan on the heat sink. I dod
have to send mine back to Ten-Tec once for a filter offset problem.
Apparently some CPU's had the wrong receive oscillator offsets
programmed in resulting in  the Jones filter  not being centered in the
passband. Ten-Tec fixed it out of warranty by replacing the CPU and gave
it a complete checkout.

Now having said that, the Scout is a FUN radio. I like to use mine
portable when I go on vacation. Its a great Field Day rig, too. I get
good reports on cw or SSB and I usually only run 35 watts. With a 1/4
wave low (NVIS) 80 meter wire strung through the trees I can keep in
touch with the traffic nets back home. In a pinch, it will run for a
couple of hours on a 7 amp hour gel cell battery.

Bottom line: its simple and fun to operate, small enough for vacation or
emergency portable use, and the Jones filter is very handy.

For mods: I put in the keying mod, put a 56 ohm resistor in series with
the meter lamp to cut down the brightness and make the bulb last longer,
and I put a crank knob on the PTO, for those rapid frequency excursions.
It really doesn't need anything else. I'd like to try a Z-11 autotuner
someday, but my portable antennas are set up so that they don't need a
tuner.

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF

                        73,