Re: [TenTec] Questions about NR i.e. Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Questions about NR i.e. Orion
From: <k6kdk@k6kdk.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:42 -0800
Ahhhh   Hummm... I agree w/ "Buck".. (speaking as a software-type here..) a
true NR system implemented in software is capable of "intelligently
manipulating" noise and signal in a way that can not be detected on a scope.
It is fully possible (in software) to make determinations about which bits
are noise which are information, pass and reject the bits on the fly,
interpolate the intelligence through (create it artificially and insert it
into the bit stream for later D/A) and a whole host of other "tricks" to
improve intelligence throughput for a human user. You will never see this
manipulatiuon on a scope no matter how hard you try.

For some more informatiuon on these type of schemes see Flex Radio
documentation on their site about what they call "NB2".  I mentioned before
on a previous post that I thought TT should outsource the NR to NCT
Technologies who developed many such audio/ human listener NR codes under
military contract. They now will license it out for a price.

I don't want to bore you with recounts of my past victories in this realm.
Nothing is worse than listenting to some retired software guy tell you how
he could do it with one hand tied behind his back, but I once got paid a
bunch to write just such code for a customer of ours that had severe noise
(from RF interference) into a SMPTE time code track on his very expensive
little black boxes. His boxes could no longer "hear" the information stream.
We cleaned that right up for him, no problem !

73s -Dan  K6KDK

I submit the only way to check the NR function is by listening.  It  either
works or it doesn't.

It hasn't worked since version 1.371.

K4ia  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA