Re: [TenTec] OII Audio testing/optimization

To: ronc@sonic.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII Audio testing/optimization
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:31:10 EST
Ron,
I guess I missed you last night....

I did hook up with another OII owner, Charles K5UA, and Ron N9AU on the side
(coild not copy Ron).

We did some extensive on air audio testing with my OII and Heil Goldline with
excellant results.

Net results: Both Charles and Ron have Orion II's with a major audio problem
that is hardware (there have run the same V2 as I am). Charles has sent his in
to TT and it's been there quite a while, I beleive Ron is planning on sending
his in soon?

Looks like some OII's have a problem and some don't.

OK, now to add some feedback for you on our test last night:

My OII with Heil Goldline e element Mic with standard Heil Yaesu cables:

Wide setting (Studio)

Gain = 65
SP = 3
BW = 3150
Rollogff = 150
TX EQ = -8

Resuilted in good audio.

Narrow Setting (HC5) NOT HC4

All settings the same EXCEPT TX EQ = +10

Resulted in a nice DX audio

What did we learn.

1) Some OII's must have a HW problem, as some sound good and some can't be
adjusted to sound good.

2) If you run SP any higher than 3 you get high end audio distortion and
crackling sound.

3) In our opinions even with the OII setup as well as we can, Original Orion
still sounds better!

4) We hope TT puts the audio 'STUFF' back he way it was in Orion. (Along with
some other things as well, like NR, NB, AN)

5) TT has some kind of QC issue with OII Audio HW, as some work OK some
don't.

This is all FWIW and is a result of real life testing, not type engineering
analysis with test equipment.

I hope it helps some folks to sort out any audio issues.
Net result if you can't get your audio to at least sound OK with known good
station setup (Mic, No RF feedback etc) then send her back to TT.

73,
Lee, KC9CDT