Re: [TenTec] Orion II NR Performance Measurements

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II NR Performance Measurements
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:10:57 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2006 8:59:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
btippett@alum.mit.edu writes:

>BW=500Hz:  SNNR degrades by approx 2dB with  NR=9.

Degrades?...strange  result!  This
implies a noise bandwidth of ~800 Hz.   Simply
turning DSP BW to 100 (which has an actual BW
of 150 Hz) should  **improve** S/N by 5.2 dB.

I believe what he is saying here is that the distortion introduced at  NR=9
degrades the S/N ratio.  That is certainly true by observation  regardless of
the "theory."  I would say the signal becomes totally  incomprehensible at NR=9
and the degradation is worse than measured.  And  yes, it does mean something
is not working right - the NR in ver 2 is terrible.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA