[TenTec] Orion static susceptibility and headphones

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion static susceptibility and headphones
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:25:16 -0700 (PDT)
I had a recent problem with my Orion.  The tip of a
headphone plug broke off inside my jack.  Because of
this I learned a lot about the Orion audio circuit.

The Orion does not work like every other radio on the
planet.  The audio line to the phones is NOT the same
audio line to the speakers.  When you stick a plug
into the phone jack, a switch in the phone jack seems
to issuea a command to the CPU to turn off the
speaker.  When you unplug the phones a command is
issued to turn the speaker on.  As best I can tell the
headphones seem to run all the time, but I'm not sure
of that.  It may be the case that your phone jack is a
little faulty or noisey in sending a signal to the
CPU.  Turning the radio off and on my just reboot it
in the correct default configuration

73  W9OY