Re: [TenTec] The Bug

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Bug
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@gulseth.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:17:14 -0500
On Thu April 6 2006 09:17 am, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 18:27 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:
> > No reason you cannot use a good stable Ten-Tec transceiver in CW mode as
> > a VFO to have some degree of frequency agility. You're going to have to
> > work on the tank circuit a bit to get it to 160 or 75 meters anyway, so
> > why not make it tunable.
> >
> > I'm thinking an RCA BT1K. Push Pull 833s modulated by Push Pull 833s.
> > It's only a kW. Since it is a 50s vintage TX, 50's vintage ham power
> > limits should be appropriate way to maintain purity and stability to a
> > level the state of the art permits. And it will fit in a one car garage.
> >
> > DE N6KB
>
> Gates and Collins all made a pair of 833s modulated by a pair of 833s.
> More likely paralleled in the PA.
>
> 50's vintage ham limit were PA plate input power ignoring the peaks from
> modulation. A pair off 833s ought to run 1800 watts PA input to get 1 KW
> RF carrier with a peak power output of 2 KW. Today with the peak power
> output limited to 1.5 KW, its still not legal. I'm sure it can be backed
> off a bit though that wasn't type approved. It would be easier to back
> off the power of a tetrode or pentode PA by lowering the PA screen
> voltage.
>
> These rigs are all tunable from outside the box, probably hidden behind
> a door.

Jerry's comment about using a TT rig as a VFO might be worth exploring for
those who are interested in doing something like this. BTW as I recall many of
the 1KW AM transmitters had multiple primary taps on the HV power transformer
to facilitate "pre-sunrise" operation at reduced power (usually 250 or 500W)
so reducing the power to meet amateur limits might not be too hard to
accomplish.

Also, I had to think about this for a minute -- I believe Ken is mixing his
transmitter models (not that it's any big deal, just brings back memories HI
HI!!) RCA used _4-400s_ in the BTA 1R transmitter at the small-town AM
station I worked for early in my broadcast career. The _Gates_ BC-1J at the
other station in town (and the model K, if there was one as I would assume)
used 833s. There are quite a few guys putting these old transmitters on 160 &
75M AM as the following link documents:

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/special-report/rwf-chromeJune20.shtml

Looks like things have to a certain extent come full circle given the stories
years ago about old-timer BC chief engineers who were also hams tuning their
station's transmitter up on 160M at night after the station signed off :-)

--
73, Al

NOTICE to spammers and email address harvesters: you are hereby prohibited
from harvesting, reselling or redistributing this email address in any form,
or sending unsolicited commercial email ("spam") to it. Should you choose to
violate this prohibition, you agree that you will compensate the holder of
this address according to the following schedule: for harvesting this address
(by manual or automatic means), $100,000 per incident; for reselling or
redistributing this address, $10,000 per copy; and $1,000 per unsolicited
message ("spam") sent to this address. You also agree that you will
relinquish any or all business and/or personal assets necessary to satisfy
this obligation and any associated costs of collection and/or legal fees.
Failure to read this notice does not release you from liability in this
matter.