Re: [TenTec] rf in headphone cables

To: na9u@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] rf in headphone cables
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:20:14 -0400
I have always been a fan of using a stereo headphone amplifier in
between the radio (Orion) and my sony cans or heil headsets.  No more!
I recently built a stack of 2 big tribanders at 40 and 80 feet, which
sits less than 50 feet from the shack which is in a steel encased
building.   That stack, when aimed at the shack caused the headphone
amplifier to rectify.  Eliminating the headphone amp solved the problem
I (thought I )was experiencing with the Orion Ver 2.x firmware on ssb.
I had multiple beams on that tower before with no sign of a problem rf
wise.

Multiple changes to the station without completely wringing out each one
in turn leads to mis-informed diagnosis of a problem.  Orion ver 2.x,
new antennas, some rework of grounding all at same time without proper
testing.  Many would have said "improper grounding" and they would have
been wrong,  I blamed Orion firmware and I was wrong.  Throwing that
headphone amp out the barn door fixed it and I feel better for it.  73
bob de w9ge