[TenTec] Internal Tuner settings when changing bands...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Internal Tuner settings when changing bands...
From: F3WT <ars.f3wt@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 02:09:50 +0200
I badly miss the  feature ,  especially in a worldclass system.

Algorithms used in tuners ( LDG or other) of Orion are  known in
operation research or optimal control .
I read that TT does not document on this. Hence  it is unknown to me
which scheme they use.

Anyhow, it seems to me that:

Firstly we will have sooner or later  a  wear and tear problem  of
relays and capacitors (if not finals when proceeding
tuning thru reactive loads before reaching its final ( optimal) state
of  more or less  resitive load ( e.g. SWR abt equal to 1 or less
then say 2)
Only age of system will show this- it is not whether but when.
Moreover the faster and longer  they tune  the sooner the likelyhood
a failure will happen raises!

Secondly  instead of remembering just a "zero" or any "random" state
when changing band or rebooting,  a tuner with a provision to
remembering  its previous state is an improved innovation.
If one is not happy with a previous setting ( with an actual SWR),
one could always and only then press Tune again as often as wished.

Depending on the algorithm ( or optimization strategy)  implemented
in the system , a "worldclass" tuner by pushing "TUNE" should always
be able to leave a previous state in order to  reach a new one, that
is an new optimal one or a quasi or sub-optimal  one as conditions
are changed ( band change ,  switch back ON and/or working-point
moved on Smith-diagram, etc.. albeit under given tuning range limits) .

Tuners not doing this is no reason for not implementing remembering
(as they could always be designed to be reset to "zero" state before
starting  "whistling" and rattling" again...until problems in point 1
above occur!)
  ;-)

Pierre - F3WT

I agree with John. It was a hassle at first but now I appreciate the OII
internal tuner. All my previous ant tuners never failed to leave the
radio
in a confused state at some point or another.

opinions vary in this area but I like it the way it is and have no
problems
retuning when required.