Re: [TenTec] V 1.372 for Orion

To: <na9u@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] V 1.372 for Orion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:01:55 -0700
I wouldn't describe the audio as unintelligible by any means.  It's simply
that the low frequency response does not meet the published specifications,
and with the exception of a few O2 units that have an obvious hardware
problem that causes nasty distortion, the audio sounds quite good with
external processing IMHO.  I would be happy to sched with anyone on 40 or 20
meters after 23:30 UTC to demonstrate just how good it can sound.

Here are a couple of problems on the list you forgot:

The S-meter is as accurate as a Oigee board.  (For those of you too young to
know what a Oigee board is, look it up on Google!)  Should also be
compensated for pre-amp in or out.

The Auto and Manual Notch does not interact with the AGC to increase the
level after the offending tone has been removed.

Crash caused by NB, NR and Notch on at same time.

The Speech processor sounds OK, but it's not loud.  It's only a fast AGC,
not a real clipper.

Some distortion on AM receive.

Needs a firmware routine to cause the Main and Sub receiver DSP to operate
on the same frequency when linked to the same VFO.  They are currently (on
mine anyway) a fixed 6 Hz off of each other on all frequencies.  DSP
soundcards can be software-adjusted for this type of problem.  There is no
reason why Orion DSP can't.

Ron N6AHA