Re: [TenTec] Slash 0

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Slash 0
From: "Hsu, Aaron (NBC Universal)" <aaron.hsu@nbcuni.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:01:00 -0700
For those of you who insist on the <ALT>-0216 slash zero for every day
purposes, PLEASE DON'T!  It may "look" good for you, but it can cause some
problems...

1.  It's an extended ASCII character; therefore, it requires a font that maps
char #216 to a slashed zero.  Not all fonts have a slashed zero as char #216.
Although *you* might see the slash zero when you type a message, the receiving
end may not have a font that has a slash zero as ASCII 216 - instead, the
message will display some other character that's mapped to #216 and this can
make the message confusing.  For reference, ASCII characters above #127 are
considered "extended".

2.  It doesn't sort as a true zero.  A true zero is ASCII char #48 (30h) - if
you try to sort on an "extended" character slash zero, it won't sort as
expected - especially if you have a mix of true zeros with the extended slash
zero.  Char #216 will sort *after* the lower-case "z".

3.  It requires application support.  Not all apps support entering or
displaying extended ASCII characters.  Browser based (aka web-based) apps (such
as webmail) generally don't support entering extended ASCII characters.  Some
may even not display the extended characters.

If you really wish to have a slash zero for day-to-day use, please use a font
that has a slash zero as the "true" zero (ASCII char #48 (30h)).  Yes, this
will not show a slash zero if you use a different font, but you won't run into
any sorting, entry, or display problems.

Sorry for the rant...just trying to prevent future headaches.

  - Aaron Hsu, NN6O (ex-KD6DAE)
    {nn6o}@arrl.net
    {aaron.hsu}@nbcuni.com
    No-QRO Int'l #1,000,006