[TenTec] Audio Mod for Omni C

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Audio Mod for Omni C
From: <jcharley@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:52:04 -0400
Has anyone tried Steve's Audio Mod for the Omni C?  What do you think?
I did his AGC Mod for the Omni C and it works great.
I sometimes have to have the RF and AF gain at full Clockwise position to hear
adequately.  The unit has been back to factory for PTO rebuild, alignment and
check out.  So all should be okay, otherwise.
Your thoughts.
73/Crit/K4BXN

*** QUOTE from 1999 ***
Here is a simple mod for improved audio on the Omni C. I have not
tested it on other Omni series such as A, B, D etc. but most likely it
would have the same effect. It gives a boost to voice frequencies and
a slight peak around 600-700hz for cw. All signals seem to be much
easier to copy with the now brilliant sounding audio.

Parts needed.........1ea. 1 meg resistor

Remove bottom cover of rig.

Locate the audio-sidetone board. This is the one with the sidetone
pots.

There is no need to remove the board. Solder the resistor between pin
2 of IC-1 (LM-380) and AF-Output.

Instead of soldering directly to pin 2 of IC-1, you may want to solder
to R8's (10K) lead which connects to pin 2 and the other end to C11's
negative lead. I suggest sliding some insulation over the 1 meg
resistor's leads to prevent shorting.

Replace the bottom cover and enjoy.

73
Steve N4LQ