[TenTec] Keyer Info

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Keyer Info
From: <ve1bn@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:59:57 -0300
Hello Hank - K7HP,

Could not send to you direct as can't find your email address in QRZ.com or
in buckmasters.

I guess you would not have a problem with your CMOS4.  It is an iambic keyer
which means if you had a dual paddle key and squeezed both paddles
together, it would send .-.-.-.-.-    With your single lever Vibroplex you are
unable to do a squeeze, so you have no problem.  Ultimatic (squeeze keying)
with a dual lever paddle, the first contact made, either a dit or a dah, would
continue as either a stream of dahs or dits.

Because my paddle is a dual lever and the CMOS3 is iambic, I made a little
board with a couple of ICs to transform it into a squeeze keyer.

Personally I find less paddle motion needed with squeeze keying.
For instance, let any op use an iambic keyer and try to send "Z" by holding
the dah lever closed for two dahs and then squeeze the thumb lever long
enough for two dits.  Can't be done with iambic. One must release the
finger pressure first.  Requires some practice for iambic ops to change over,
but it a lot easier in the long run. Other characters are similar, for instance
"B,C,D,F" and so on.

Hope this explains what I meant by Ultimatic versus Iambic.  I have spent
40 years using a Zephyr Vibroplex bug and 20 with electronic keyers.

CW Forever, Hank!

73 -  Don,  VE1BN