Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:06:39 -0700
The website and advertising brochure don't say anything about being a
"DX'ers radio".  Here's what they do say:

"The Ten-Tec Orion II represents an entirely new concept in high-performance
HF transceivers. Our goal with this new groundbreaking design is to deliver
the finest performance level to date from an amateur transceiver."

"Superb SSB audio is yours at a touch of the AUDIO button. Audio
equalization is provided in both transmit and receive. The transmit response
can be adjusted to have more bass or more treble. Separately, receiver audio
can be EQed for bass and treble response. 18 selectable SSB transmit
bandwidths to a maximum of 3.9 kHz are provided. See figures 3, 4, and 5
below for TX and RX equalizer graphs."
...and this from the specifications:

RX notch filter: IF DSP, adjustable width, depth > 50 dB, notch reflected on
S-meter; multi-tone auto-notch, adjustable 0-9.

TX frequency response: 50-3900 Hz max -6 dB points, adjustable.

Modes: USB, LSB, AM, FM, CWUSB, CWLSB, AFSK; advanced Panoramic Stereo(tm).

Ron N6AHA