[TenTec] re Copper strap

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Copper strap
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 18:43:47 +0000
yes the price of copper on the metal market hit near $3/pound a month or so
ago last time I checked.  there have been stories in the newspapers of
theves raiding unattended radio sites to rip the waveguides off towers and
pull up AM radials to get the copper to sell as scrap.   In fact a 3 man
ring of these guys was arrested near DeKalb IL a couple of months ago when
they were caught on a microwave tower.   that's why I bought some heliax and
strap recently before the prices began to show the raw product price
increase.   In addition to copper, zinc, AL, and steel are also up due to a
shortage of production from mines and demand in China and India.  It was
reported a few weeks ago that the cost of zinc and copper is high enough to
make the content of a penny be worth almost more than 1 cent.   That value
is expected to be exceeded this year.  When that happens the mint is going
to have to rework the coin content.

I looked at the "strap" for sale in Lowes here a few weeks ago.  It was just
flimsy foil and not worth installing in my opinion, especially for burial.

rob / k5uj