Re: [TenTec] Orion 2.034 Up

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2.034 Up
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:28:05 -0500
So ...

The sub-receiver BW control has been fixed and seems to work properly now
... Good.

AM mon now works .... Also good, although it tends to overload easily and
buzz and rattle.

AM Transmit TGC is working again, and the power level sets, although on
occasion it will set too high.  There is quite a bit of downward carrier
shift -- with modulation peaks just hitting the 100% flasher on my mod
monitor occasionally.  I don't recall this happening on the v1, but although
I had one recently on the table for a short period of time, didn't have time
to move all the cables and check that out.  The work in this area isn't
finished, but my bet is that what we have is what we're going to get.

And of course, if you set up your external EQ and internal TX EQ to sound
good on AM, you'll sound like cr*p on SSB (at least I do) ... Or vice-versa.
So mode changes between the two also means changing the EQ settings -- even
if it's just a tweak of TX EQ, it's something else to have to remember to
do.

Of course, there's still a hefty amount of stuff on most gripe lists, but
only The Shadow knows if any of it is actually in the works.

Grant/NQ5T