Re: [TenTec] Tentec Microphones and Speakers

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tentec Microphones and Speakers
From: "Gregory J. Knapp" <gknapp@freshrain.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:15:02 -0700
I chose the new Ten Tec 709 microphone with my new Orion II and everyone
thinks I sound perfectly like I really sound in real life, without any
special adjustment of the Orion. Microphones just don't get any better than
that.

But, if you want some kind of manipulated, artificial sound (like a
microphone with totally unnatural mega-boom-box base, then perhaps some
other microphone would be appropriate.  I just like me to sound like me, and
the Ten Tec 709A (with 711 base) does that--accurately reproduces the actual
sound going into it.

With respect to speakers, they, like headphones, really are a personal
preference. I debated a long time on buying a speaker, but finally settled
on the Ten Tec 307 matching unit, which I found to be excellent. But then, I
also found the speaker built into the Orion II to performs surprisingly
well!

But, I am planning (some time in the next year) on hauling an old, but good,
stereo system (that I am not currently using as I replaced it with a $2,000
unit) into the shack to take advantage of the BinRX/Panoramic stereo
capabilities of the O and to hear audio the way I want to hear it. The
popularity of the "Sweet Sounds" speaker, which I believe cuts off the highs
(reduces background noise), is a testimony that hams find certain sound
ranges to be more pleasing than others and want those emphasized. So, like
headphones, it is personal choice. I have tons of old stereo speakers, big
and small, expensive and cheap, I plan to A/B test some time in the future
until I find one I personally like for ham radio (for my ears alone).

In summary, I recommend the Ten Tec microphone and speaker as I find they
both perform well and I am very pleased with them.

73,
Greg, N6GK