Re: [TenTec] FT-2000 Webpage

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FT-2000 Webpage
From: "John T. Fleming" <W3GQJ@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:50:50 -0400
George,

If you look at the design of the Orion I, it is using "old design
techniques" of converting the first IF to 9 MHz.  It is much easier to make
a tight roofing filter at 9 MHz then one at 45 MHz.  A 250 Hz filter at 9
MHz would be the same ratio as a 1250 Hz filter at 45 MHz.  The Orion
sub-receiver has a 45 MHz IF.  That is why it can cover from the broadcast
band to 30 MHz.  The main receiver is only ham bands.  Otherwise you would
be hearing the IF frequency as you tuned 500 KHz to 30 MHz, and got to the 9
MHz area.

In the Orion I, the very tight filter is after the roofing filter.  An
amplifier state is switched in to make up for the losses.

The Orion II has all filters as roofing filters.
73,
John