Re: [TenTec] AM, was "Just noticed ..."

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM, was "Just noticed ..."
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:19:00 -1000
Yes both SSB and DSB suppressed carrier are modes defined by FCC and/or
ITU standards. However DSB suppressed carrier mode, is not the same
thing as adjusting the carrier level lower than 100 watts when operating
AM with a primarily SSB rig. A 100 watt SSB rig with AM capability has
to be run with the carrier level at about 25 watts, and the sideband
power level adjusted to a much lower level than when running in SSB, so
that an AM detector can properly demodulate the signal. DSB suppressed
carrier mode requires a BFO at the receiver to demodulate the signal
properly. The suppressed carrier on the transmitted signal is not high
enough level for the AM detector to work without addition of the BFO power.

DE N6KB