Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ load

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ load
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:05:11 -0500
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 12:50 -0400, w8au@sssnet.com wrote:
> At 10:32 AM 6/14/06, Mike Brown wrote:
> >Peter, don't take this the wrong way. But, I've never seen a 100
> >watt rig  only draw 12 amps. If I'm all wet here, don't be afraid to
> >tell me. Maybe I'm not awake yet.
>
> At 50% final amp efficiency (linear mode) plus an amp to run the
> ancillary circuits (counter, etc) you would be at 16 amps minimum.

Don't forget that 50% efficient PA has only 10 or 12 dB gain so there
has to be a 20 watt input driver drawing 1.8 amps more.

> MeThinks the ammeter shunt needs attention.  :-)

Maybe it needs to peak reading instead of average or make the test on CW
KEY DOWN.

> Perry   w8au

Then remember that Tentec rigs tend to adjust the PA current according
to the load impedance and so certain loads will indicate full load
voltage but not draw as much PA current and other loads will indicate
full load voltage but draw more PA current.

73, Jerry, K0CQ,